eu immigration

The British exit from the EU will see significant changes for both sides. There is no such thing as a happy divorce or separation. If you look at both sides’ announcements in the last two months, things are not off to a good start.

This will obviously affect immigration, as well, and here we look at how EU migration to the UK will be affected in the future.

EU Migration to the UK

Immigration solicitors in London confirm that the UK has seen net positive immigration from the EU since the inception of the agreement for the free movement of people.

That means more people from the EU visited the UK every year to live, work and study here compared to the number of people that moved from the UK to the EU.

We expect this trend will continue in the future, albeit with a decline. The UK will continue to offer a high standard of international education that is superior to most EU universities. There are plenty of work opportunities throughout the UK, from blue-collar workers to technical professions.

In the past, EU citizens have had the edge over international immigrants to fulfil UK jobs. Visa restrictions for EU citizens will add a cost for migrants, and fewer people are expected to visit the UK for work this year.

Visa Requirements for New Visitors

From the 1st of October, 2021, new EU migrants that are coming to the UK will need to get a visa, similar to non-EU citizens. They will also need to have a valid passport that is valid for more than six months.

Read Also :   What Is Price Monitoring?

A UK visa can be acquired under the existing system that applies to international visitors to the UK.

  • If you are a business entrepreneur or investor, you will need to get a Tier 1 visa.
  • If you are coming to the UK as a highly skilled worker, you will need to apply under the Skilled worker visa (former Tier 2 work visa).
  • If you are coming to the UK to study, you will need to apply under Tier 4.
  • If you are coming to work in the UK temporarily (up to six months), you will need to apply under Tier 5.
  • If you are coming to join your spouse/partner in the UK that has a permanent residency status/citizenship, you can apply under a family visa.
  • If you are looking to visit the UK for less than six months for tourism or business purpose, you will need to get a visitor visa. However, you may not require a visa under the following circumstances.
    • You are invited as an expert in your profession to provide counsel/lectures.
    • You are invited as a professional to take part in entertainment/sports activity.
    • You are invited to take part in academic activity.

EU Settlement Scheme

EU/EEA nationals or relevant family members, who were resident in the UK by the 31st of December 2020, may be entitled to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme.

EU citizens that are looking to apply for settlement will need to provide evidence of their residence in the UK or evidence of their relationship with a settled person.

Accepted forms of evidence include the following.

  • A Bank statement that shows payments received or expenses incurred in the UK.
  • A Card or letter from a UK based GP or healthcare service provider that confirms that you made appointments or attended the service.
  • A used travel ticket that confirms that you entered the UK from another country prior to the 31st of December 2020.
  • Invoices for any work that has been done in the UK and evidence of payment received.
  • Landline or mobile phone bills. Bills for TV or internet service showing a UK address.
  • Letter received from public service, government department or any other charity organization showing that the person dealt with them on a specific date or for a particular period of time.
  • Letter received from your educational institute or training organization, which shows that you were enrolled with them and attended classes for your course in the UK.
  • Payslip for a job based in the UK.
  • Residential expense invoices received for home repairs, insurance etc and evidence of payments made
  • Utility bills such as water, gas or electricity.
Read Also :   Tips to Optimize Your Work for the Digital World

The deadline for applying to the scheme is the 30th of June 2021. You will need to apply to this scheme in order to retain your rights to remain in the UK.

The Future of Migration between the EU and the UK

Some bumps and hiccups are expected in the relationship between the EU and the UK as we negotiate deals. However, we expect things will normalize as time goes on, and visa requirements will not be as strict as they appear to be in the media right now.

If you are looking to move to the UK from the EU and need assistance, then please seek legal advice from qualified legal professionals such as Gulbenkian Andonian Solicitors in London. They will be able to help prepare a strong case for you. 

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *