Recently, more and more people are becoming interested in riding bicycles. Aside from the fact that it helps maintain your good health, a bicycle is also a better mode of transportation compared to motorcycles and cars. It’s easier to ride a bike especially if you are only going a couple of blocks away. It will not just save you money but you can also reach your destination faster.
Because of that, more people bought bicycles in the past years. If you are one of these new bike enthusiasts, you need to know how to keep your bike in good condition all the time. Having it is the same as owning a car or other vehicle. It requires regular maintenance to make sure that it will be functional for a long period of time.
Different ways to maintain your bicycle
Before you buy a bicycle, you have to make sure that you are knowledgeable about some of its technical aspects. It will be easier for you to maintain it if you know how these things work. Here are some of the basic ways to maintain your bikes.
- Store them properly – There are many ways for you to store your bikes indoors or outdoors. You can consider using garage bike storage if you have extra space. It’s literally parking your bikes in the right place. These storage ideas have hooks and breakers to make sure that your bike will remain stationary and safe when not in use. You can also use indoor bike storage racks if you have space in your room to keep them. Regardless of wherever you keep it, make sure to use the appropriate rack or shelf for bikes.
- Clean regularly – The more often you use your bicycle, the more often you should clean it. What you want to avoid is to accumulate the dirt and dust of the day especially on the wheels. Make it a habit to clean your bikes right after using them. A simple wipe will do if it’s not too dirty. However, you still need to schedule cleaning where you need thorough cleansing of each of its parts.
- Replace broken gear – No matter how careful are, there are times that some parts of your bikes will get broken. It happens. After all, it’s a mechanical vehicle. When that instance occurs, make sure to replace the broken part or gear right away. In that way, you won’t have any problems in case you have to go out for a ride again. Also, if a part is broken, there’s a high chance that you will not be able to use your bike. Stocking it may cause some parts to rust which is a bigger problem.
- Lubricate often – Especially if you use it often, always lubricate the chains and their other parts. In that way, you can be sure that everything will run smoothly. The key is to lubricate about a week or more often if you use it all the time.
- Keep wheels in good condition – The wheels are the bike’s core. Regardless of how perfect other parts and gears are, if the wheels are too old, you can’t take it out to ride. Make sure to keep them in good condition by properly putting in the right amount of air and replacing them when needed.
These are only a few of the many ways to maintain your bicycles. There are more technical items that you need to take note so it’s better to check with your mechanic and not miss anything.
Why do you need to take care of your bike?
You may be hesitant to keep your bicycle. It may be a tedious task for some people. However, owning a bike comes with a lot more responsibilities than being just a good and obedient driver. Here are some of the reasons why taking care of your bike is necessary:
- It’s your investment – Avoid wasting the money you invested in buying the bike. The bike alone is expensive so make sure you will spend more on repairs and part replacements.
- It keeps you safe – Well-maintained bikes are surely safe to ride and will not cause and trouble along the way.
- It saves money for gear replacement – If you make sure that all parts are properly working, you can avoid possible damages and breakage in the future. Hence, you will save more money.
- It makes your bike more durable – The more you maintain your bike, the longer its life will be. The parts and gears will be more durable for a longer time.
Where to buy bicycle storage ideas
Most of the bicycle stores also sell some storage shelves and racks. However, if you want to get more inspiration, you can always check out Storables.com. They have a wide list of references for different types of bicycle storage. Visit their website today!